Sunday, October 13, 2013

Codea Build Machine

This is something I wanted to do for a long time: not having to go to my computer to compile and install my Codea projects, but still have my plug-and-play add-ons and resource files.

After a few days of work, I am quite happy with the results. I can now create a brand new project in Codea, export it, and after only a few minutes, I receive an e-mail to install it on my device, with add-ons like music automatically integrated for me.

Even if you don't have a Mac you can leave turned on all the time, if you turn it on when needed, the build machine saves a lot of time building an exported project and installing it on your device.

As an added bonus, since everything, including add-ons, is in the Cloud, it is possible to modify or even add new add-ons directly on the iPad (I use Textastic, but any code/text editor supporting your cloud application would work).

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who will greatly appreciate having a Codea build machine, so I made everything available on GitHub.

https://github.com/jfperusse/CodeaProjectBuilder

If anyone tries it, let me know how that goes so I can improve the scripts and documentation!

You can also find my add-ons on GitHub, more to come soon!

https://github.com/jfperusse/CodeaAddons

Here's a video showing an example project with mp3 playback built completely on the iPad.


No comments:

Post a Comment